Eligibility and filling out the survey
What type of organisation can enter the index?
The NatWest SE100 Index is open to all social enterprises (also called social ventures) across the UK. There is no legal definition of what a social enterprise is. Although we do not have a strict set of criteria to decide who is eligible to enter the Index, please consider the following points to decide whether to enter or not.
- Primary mission is social
- Run like a business but a significant proportion of profits (usually more than 50%) go towards the social mission
- A significant amount of income is through trading
Not a social enterprise (eg, traditional charities or for-profit businesses):
- Primary mission is financial
- Generate profit which go to shareholders rather than a social mission
- Principal income is through raising charitable funds (eg grants, philanthropy or donations)
The following links provide further descriptions of social enterprises/ventures:
Who should fill in the survey?
The Index should be filled in by someone who has a good understanding of your organisation’s financial and social performance. This is normally somebody who is Director level, such as the Finance Director.
How long will it take to fill in the survey?
You do not have to fill out your Index profile in one go. You can log in to your account as many times as you like to update your data. Not all fields are compulsory in order to enter the Index, but we recommend filling in as much as you can in order to create a full picture of your organisation. We estimate that it will take between 30-45 minutes to fill out the entire Index profile.
What information do I need to fill in the survey?
In addition to basic information about your organisation, you will need:
- Access to your accounts from the two most recent years
- Access to information about your social impact, such as the indicators, targets and processes you use to monitor your social impact
- Access to information about your organisation’s structure (such as legal structure, number of employees, equal opportunities/diversity information)
What are the timescales for the SE100 Index 2016?
In order to be eligible for an award, you will need to complete your SE100 profile before midnight on 25th September 2016. If you are nominating your organisation for either The Resilience Award or The Storyteller Award, or the leader of your organisation for the Leadership Award we need to have your nominations forms in by midday 18th September 2016.
The award shortlist will be announced at the Good Deals conference on 14th November in Birmingham, and the ceremony will take place on 19th January 2017 in London.
Entering your information on the SE100 Index sooner rather than later means you can take full advantage of our business tools, PR opportunities and our growing community of social enterprises.